Sign In Forgot Password

WHO WE ARE: OUR HISTORY

 

An integral part of the Baltimore community for the last 66 years, Beth Israel has become one of the area’s most dynamic and well-respected Conservative congregations. We honor our founders’ wish to create a warm, welcoming community which fully embraces Jewish tradition as well as innovation.

In 1956, just 10 families met to share their dream of forming a new synagogue. Our first home was a cottage on 10 acres of land in Randallstown. In 1957, our congregation became affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. We grew rapidly through the next few decades, as many in our community called Beth Israel their spiritual home.

In 1994, Beth Israel began a new chapter in its history. We moved to a new home on Mitzvah Lane in Owings Mills. Today, we still occupy the Macks Fidler Synagogue Center on the Ted Schweitzer Campus.

Over the last two years, Beth Israel has adapted its educational programming, religious services and Community Learning Lab (Religious School) to meet evolving health and safety needs. We also provide virtual access for those who prefer that means of connection.

Launched in January 2020 and conducted in conjunction with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, Beth Israel’s Strategic Planning Process ensures that the congregation will be well-positioned to grow and thrive moving forward, not only to meet the needs of our current members, but to attract new members as well. Based on analysis and integration of quantitative Beth Israel Fact Book data, Board and Congregational Survey responses, and Community Conversation input, Strategic Planning Task Forces addressed the following seven areas:

o   Financial Stability
o   Schools and Youth Programming
o   Membership/Engagement
o   Facility Usage
o   Social Programming
o   Social Action/Community Involvement
o   Marketing & Communications

 

 

Sat, May 21 2022 20 Iyyar 5782